1) Call to Order
- Erik Olmer (W4EJO) called to order on ZOOM the Gold Coast Amateur Radio Association’s regular meeting at 7:31 pm on June 27, 2023 A quorum was present with 9 members (see Appendix A).
- Greetings, Introductions of Board Members, Members and Guests.
2) Secretary’s Report – Ben Echavarria (N7BBE)
- Ben Echavarria (N7BBE) motioned to approve the minutes from May
- Attendance was taken for officers, members and guests
3) President Report
- PSA – Boca Raton Radio Club provides service to other hams and the community
- Boca Club has events where the public is invited and feed at no charge
- They help amateur radio operators with radio problems and repairs at no charge
- They are now in need of a new Air Conditioner at their Club House and are in
- Need of Donations. The replacement cost is about $6,000.00.
- For Social club events, Home Radio Shacks can be visited.
- Winter Field Day is in 6 months, we need someone to plan and oversee the event.
4) Vice President – Ricki Witte (KJ4FSJ)
- Committee Reports
- Testing – Jeff Stahl (K4BH) We had no candidates this time.
- Third Saturday every month at 10:00 am at 1st Christian Church of Wilton Manors
- Broward ARES/RACES – Carol Sjursen (KJ4AWB) chairman
- We still need Shelter Operators, please volunteer
- ARES EC – Jeff Stahl (K4BH)
- Field Day IC – Erik Olmer (W4EJO)
- High level summary, more detail in July
- Objective – Get Hope on the air (Successful)
- Everyone had fun
- Band conditions were dubious at best.
- Setting up stations – Could use more volunteers, we did set up class 3A station for
- CW – Digital – SSB (club station, experienced/active operators)
- Purpose – To develop skills to meet the challenges in Emergency Preparadness
- Acquaint the general public with the capability of Amateur Radio
- Explained to non-amateur people with active demo’s
- We had no satellite contact
- W1AW bulletin was copied
- Ran the SEFTN net and passed messages
5) Treasurer – Dirk Basting (N4AN)
- Current checking balance (as of 6/27/2023) $8,192.18
- Current stripe balance (as of 5/20/2023) $67.00
- Cash on hand $0
- Annual Current – 49
- Annual Family – 4
- Lifetime – 25
- Unpaid – 30
6) Repeater Report – Ricky Eaton (KD4HGR)
- Board will agree to entire vision of club hardware by August, auction/sell Surplus equipment and purchase equipment needed to complete vision of hardware
- Talk to Ricky Eaton (KD4HDR) if you have ideas for the clubs hardware (repeaters, HF remote station, Dstar?. Deployable repeater, winlink node, etc.)
- Linking Repeaters for public service emergencies remotely and thru internet
- Put Allstar Link on the 440 Repeater
- We own five (5) repeaters, what can we do to make it better?
7) Member at Large – Melanie Fernandez (KJ4VCT)
- Sunshine Committee – Report on any “good and welfare” topics about
- Club membership
- Prayers for wives of Barry Gardner (K04FBU0) and Ricky Eaton (KD4HGR) Both post surgery
- Deanne Navares wife of Alberto Navares (N4ACN) passed away a week before Field day, Her request is that donations should be made to St. Judes Children’s Hospital in her name.
- July 18 – Library presentation at 10:30am at the Century Plaza Branch Library in Deerfield Beach it will be about the History of Radio compared to the Hobby of Amateur Radio today.
- Next speaker
- July 25 Bob Heil will be here
- Aug 22 – Club Hardware Vision
- Sep 26 – USS Hornet Museum Amateur Radio Club
- Next club dinner July 23 at Wings Plus
- 14 Renewals and 1 New Member (Robert White)
8) PIO Report – Tom Savoca (K94TJS)
- Posted pictures of our Field Day on Facebook
9) Old Business
10) New Business:
- The annual 13 Colonies Special Event July 1, 9:00 am to July 7 Midnight
- MFJ Analyzer is on its way back from repair
- Club may be in need of a new President for next year
- Adjournment at 8:45 pm for program speaker
Program – Speaker Erik Olmer (W4EJO) Shelter Communications
APPENDIX –A- Board Members
Erik Olmer-President, Ricki Witte-Vice President, Ben Echavarria-Secretary, Tom Savoca-PIO, Dirk Basting-Treasurer, Melanie Fernandez-Member at Large, Ricky Eaton-Repeater Trustee
Joe McGee NX4T
Robert White WB4TNV
Bill Mercer KE8TPU
Carol Sjursen KJ4AWB
Jeff Stahl K4BH
Paul Passman WBOBBC
Aurora Figueiredo WD4AGF
Mike Wolfe K2HXC
Robert Ligum KN4WII
Sylvan Pierre KBIEFW